Performance - 95%
Stitch quality - 97%
Speed - 90%
Ease of use - 98%
Maintenance - 95%
With some of the best reviews on Amazon, the Brother SE400 Computerized Embroidery sewing machine combines technology and creativity and offers beginners and experienced sewers a great user experience!
The Brother SE400 combines a regular sewing machine with its embroidery features perfectly and has become the favorite of many users. Everyone who tries to work on this sewing machine for the first time will be pleasantly impressed with how easy it is to use. With 98 stitching functions and 67 stitches, it is easy to see why this product is so versatile and popular among its users and why it can make a wonderful gift for someone who has just moved to a new home or why it is an excellent investment for yourself.
Important features for the Brother SE400
- 67 built-in stitches;
- 70 built-in embroidery designs;
- 5 monogramming fonts;
- 4″ x 4″ embroidery hoop;
- Stitch length and width control;
- Start/stop button;
- 15 needle positions;
- Automatic needle threader;
- Speed controller;
- Foot controller;
- LCD touch screen and LED light;
- Drop-in bobbin;
- 710 stitches per minute.
This machine has a USB port that allows users to connect it to their computers and upload more embroidery patterns on it. There have been users who had a little trouble figuring out how to complete this process successfully, but overall this is a nice feature to have, because it does not limits the user to the 70 embroidery designs that come with the machine. While one might say that 70 designs is more than enough for anything you might want to embroider, you never know what design you might like better and it is good to know that you will be able to use this machine to create it.
Most people asked whether or not they needed additional software to be able to upload additional embroidery designs and they were glad to know that the only thing they needed was the initial software that came with the machine. The Brother SE400 has an internal memory that allows users to store any designs they might like, so they will not have to connect the machine to the internet every time they want to use it. In addition, this machine also has a card reader slot, making it even easier to use. The SE400 accepts .dst and .pes file types, so be sure that the embroidery designs you download have this extension.
The Embroidery Function
Using the embroidery function is pretty straightforward, as the control panel guides the user through the thread color changes. Of course, if this is the first time you are trying to embroider there will be a learning curve, but after you get the hang of it you will see that you will have a very easy time creating the designs you want.
The Pros of the Brother SE400
- The USB port that allows users to upload more embroidery designs is great for those who are interested in trying as many designs as possible and putting their creativity to work. The 70 embroidery designs that this machine comes with are also very useful, because they include some of the most popular designs that users generally like to use;
- Multifunctional device that allows people to use this machine for both embroidering as well as making clothes, alterations and anything else they might need around the house;
- Excellent value for money. Considering its numerous features, the fact that this machine is priced below $400 and often times you can find it at an even lower price, it is definitely worth the investment;
- This sewing machine has a 25 year warranty, which speaks a lot about its quality. You can rest assured that this is one sewing machine you will never have problems with.
- The only major shortcoming that many users complain about is the fact that its only embroidery hoop is 4” x 4”, making it quite restrictive for those who want to use designs beyond that measurements;
- Preset presser foot pressure, which again can sometimes seem as an inconvenient even though the leveling button allows the machine to handle thicker fabrics. Still, we wished it would have had an adjustable presser foot pressure as well;
- No hard case included.
The fact that almost all those who have purchased this machine have offered positive reviews tells a lot about this product. It certainly is easy to use and versatile and since it comes at a great price considering the variety of features that it offers, if you want to take on embroidering as a new hobby, this is the sewing machine for you. As always, it is worth doing proper research beforehand and compare different models. Check out our Baby Lock Aventura Sewing Machine Review or the rest of the embroidery sewing machines that we have reviewed in the past. You will be able to make an idea regarding the standard features, prices and what you should expect from a sewing machine, especially if you are a beginner in this field.